Adapted from The NY Times
FOR THE CRUST:
- 1 cup of our pancake/baking mix
- 1 stick butter cut into 1/4 inch cubes, chilled
- 2 tablespoons cold water
FOR THE FILLING:
- 8 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
- ¼ cup granulated sugar, plus 1/3 cup granulated sugar - separated
- 1 large egg
- 3 cups fresh blueberries
- zest of 1/2 lemon
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- Pinch of sea salt
FOR THE TOPPING:
- 5 ⅓ ounces/150 grams shortbread cookies (1 5.3-ounce package)
- 1 tablespoon of our pancake/baking mix
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 large egg yolk
Heat oven to 350 degrees. Butter a 9 inch square pan or pie pan. In a food processor, combine baking mix and butter and pulse until butter is in pea size pieces. Add cold water and pulse a few more times to form a dough. Transfer mixture into the prepared pan and press down into an even layer. Bake until fragrant and a slight shade darker, about 15 minutes.
While the crust is baking, prepare filling & topping.
In a medium bowl, add cream cheese, 1/4 cup of sugar and 1 egg and mix until smooth. In a separate medium bowl, add blueberries, lemon zest, remaining 1/3 cup sugar, cornstarch and salt, and toss to combine.
In a food processor, combine shortbread, baking mix and sugar and pulse to combine. Add butter and egg yolk, and pulse until the mixture is evenly mixed.
Remove crust from oven and top it evenly with cream cheese mixture and then blueberry mixture. Sprinkle topping over blueberry layer, squeezing to make some larger clumps. Bake until filling is set and no longer jiggly, 35 to 40 minutes. Transfer to a rack to cool completely then chill in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour.
Cut into squares or messy, uneven bites like we did. It all tastes delicious!